Archives for March 2020
Life can get complicated fast: one minute you’re driving to work, the next you wake up in the hospital. Even a so-called “simple” accident, like a rear-end collision at a stoplight, can cause issues starting with whiplash and cascading into lifelong back pain and beyond. That’s why it’s vital you seek medical attention immediately following any type of accident. Even if you only feel “a little sore.” Even if you’re a doctor, don’t try to self-diagnose. Go to the hospital. Your very next call should be to a personal injury attorney.
Just as you wouldn’t trust a mechanic to treat your whiplash, you shouldn’t call anyone but a personal injury attorney to handle your accident case. More than having someone on your side who knows your rights and understands the system, a personal injury attorney can make the difference between winning quality medical care and replacement services – and picking up the entire tab yourself.
The good news is that a personal injury attorney can help relieve some of the stress from managing both your health and your case against the insurance company. If that’s not a good enough reason to pick up the phone and call 844-LOBB-LAW, here are five more to get you dialing:
- Your settlement amount will be higher. There’s a misconception out there that employing an attorney on your personal injury case will cost you a big chunk of your settlement. Since the majority of attorneys work on a contingency basis, they can legally charge up to 33% when they win your case. While this does indeed seem like a big chunk of your potential settlement, an attorney can help you win a settlement 3-7 times more than if you represented yourself.
- Your stress level will be lower. There’s an incredible amount of preparation required to present and litigate a winning legal case. After an accident, your primary concern should be for your health. While you focus on recovery, we’ll gather documents and records, speak to your doctors and strategize an airtight case for you.
- Your case is more complicated than you think. At the very least, an attorney will be able to tell you the value of your case and the medical expenses to expect over your lifetime. Multiple parties and insurance companies may be involved in the accident. Does the other driver have insurance? Property damage? Replacement services?
- The insurance company refuses to pay. Insurance companies employ entire teams of people whose entire function is to determine how not to pay claims. Nobody can take on an entire insurance company by themselves and the battle gets daunting fast. Where someone on their own might be inclined to give up, a good personal injury attorney will take up the fight for you.
- They know the law. Effective July 1, 2020, the Michigan Auto No-Fault laws are changing and will affect everyone from drivers to medical providers and attorneys. Changes include rolling back of the one-year rule, Independent Medical Examination rules, limits on attendant care and many others. Unless you’re a qualified attorney, keeping a handle on the evolving no-fault laws can be a full-time job!
So now you have the five top reasons to hire a personal injury attorney after a car, truck or motorcycle accident. Here’s one final piece of advice:
After an accident, contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Many states have statutes of limitations on cases and, if you wait too long, you may no longer be entitled to a settlement.
Of course, you’ll want someone trustworthy with a reputation for winning against the insurance companies. We humbly suggest calling 844-LOBB-LAW to find out how much your case could be worth!